One recent drug-specific medical app standout is the Annovera Birth Control Tracker for Annovera, a recently released vaginal ring contraceptive. Produced by TherapeuticsMD, the app provides patients with all the information they need to properly use the vaginal ring, including proper insertion/removal/cleaning. The app also provides users with information on tracking insertion and removal with calendar reminders. Although LARCs remain the preferred contraceptive, vaginal ring contraceptives such as Annovera will be preferred by some patients.
The Annovera app is part of a growing trend by pharmaceutical companies to include an app along with new drug releases. In this case, the app is a useful instructional/educational/tracker app to ensure that patients who are prescribed Annovera can properly insert and remove the device and understand and track when to do so. It includes a handy Q&A section for authoritative information about the vaginal ring contraceptive. This is definitely an app that providers should prescribe along with their Annovera prescriptions, and pharmacists should recommend when dispensing the contraceptive as well. Obviously, vaginal ring contraceptives are just one of many, and LARCs (not vaginal rings) remain the contraceptives of choice by a variety of national and international organizations.
- Easy-to-use app with detailed prescribing information, tracking function, detailed instructions for use
- Detailed Q&A section and multiple reminders/calendar tracking functions
- Available for Android
- Information on how to properly set the insertion date should be more clear and consistent with the recommended use of the contraceptive
- Could benefit from additional “real-world” video demonstrating use, not just the cartoon-based video/images
- No other “reminder” functions such as email or text messages — just calendar-based reminders
This post appeared on iMedicalApps.com.