Ron Paul hospitalized after apparently suffering medical emergency during livestream

The Week

Lindsey Graham begs Sean Hannity’s viewers for donations: ‘They’re killing me money-wise’

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) appears to be getting desperate as his re-election race gets narrower and narrower.Graham has brought in record-breaking fundraising hauls throughout his race — but Democrat Jaime Harrison has still ended up besting him so far this year. Graham admitted his struggles Thursday night in appearance on Sean Hannity’s Fox News show, pleading with Hannity’s viewers to “help me” because “they’re killing me money wise.” Hannity then suggested it was famously liberal celebrities who were backing Harrison’s campaign, despite the fact that both candidates have gotten a good deal of money from Hollywood, big media companies, and people outside of the state.> Lindsey Graham: I’m getting overwhelmed… help me, they’re killing me moneywise. Help me pic.twitter.com/xaY9S6uaYM> > — Acyn Torabi (@Acyn) September 25, 2020Graham made a similar plea on Fox & Friends Thursday morning, leading Harrison to conclude Graham knows “he’s going to lose” this election.> Anybody else get the sense that @LindseyGrahamSC just realized he’s going to lose on November 3rd? pic.twitter.com/tdLlkdkhI2> > — Jaime Harrison (@harrisonjaime) September 24, 2020As of the most recent Federal Election Commission filings, Harrison has raised $28.6 million to Graham’s nearly $30 million. Graham has about $5 million more than Harrison to spend in the last weeks of the race. The latest South Carolina Senate race poll showed Harrison and Graham statistically tied.More stories from theweek.com America is the Holy Roman Empire of the 21st century Photo of Ben Carson’s speech notes reveal he’s ‘not happy’ with White House personnel office Republicans are desperately trying to change the subject

Yahoo News Video

Trump unveils his America First Healthcare Plan

In a speech delivered in North Carolina on Thursday, President Trump outlined his “vision” for affordable, high-quality health care called the America First Healthcare Plan.

National Review

Husband of Sen. Dianne Feinstein Admits Helping Well-Connected Applicants to University of California: ‘No One Ever Told Me It Was Wrong’

The husband of Senator Dianne Feinstein (D., Calif.) admitted on Thursday to sending an inappropriate letter identified in a state audit that appeared to help an applicant to the University of California, Berkeley, get accepted to the school.The California State Auditor issued a scathing report on Tuesday that found the University of California system admitted 64 students from 2013 through 2018 based on those students’ connections to university staff or donors, instead of their academic records.”These inappropriate admissions decisions…denied more qualified applicants educational opportunities,” the report states. One admission at UC Berkeley was “particularly problematic,” because the school “appears to have admitted this student because of an inappropriate letter of support from a university Regent.”Senator Feinstein’s husband Richard Blum, a financier and University of California Regent, said he was the author of the letter in comments to the San Francisco Chronicle. Blum also admitted that he had written numerous such letters over the years to UC chancellors at multiple campuses.”I did it a bunch of times,” Blum said. “No one ever told me it was wrong.” Blum is the founder of Blum Capital, and is reportedly worth roughly $1 billion.Of the 64 inappropriate admissions uncovered by the California auditor, 42 took place at UC Berkeley. Most of the applicants were white, and the families of at least half of the applicants’ families have $150,000 or higher incomes.”The pervasiveness of this problem at UC Berkeley demonstrates that campus leadership has failed to establish a campus culture that values commitment to an admissions process based on fairness and applicants’ merits and achievements,” according to the report.The report comes over a year after the Justice Department uncovered a multimillion-dollar fraud scheme led by William Singer, who helped various wealthy families cheat college admissions standards.

Associated Press

Q&A: What were the results of Breonna Taylor investigation?

Six months after Breonna Taylor was fatally shot by police in her Kentucky apartment, a grand jury delivered a long-awaited answer about whether the officers would be punished. The jury on Wednesday did charge one of the officers, Brett Hankison, with three counts of wanton endangerment for firing shots that went into another home with people inside. Cameron said the other two officers were justified in firing their weapons because Taylor’s boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, had fired one shot at them.

The Telegraph

European Union refuses to recognise Belarusian president following dubious vote and police violence

The European Union in a rare show of unity on Thursday said that it won’t recognise Alexander Lukashenko as the legitimate leader of Belarus. Mr Lukashenko’s landslide victory in August’s rigged vote sparked protests that were reignited on Wednesday after Mr Lukashenko, who has ruled Belarus for 26 years, held a clandestine swearing-in ceremony. Mr Lukashenko’s security forces led a ferocious crackdown on opposition protests in the days following the elections. Hundreds of people have reported injuries, torture or mistreatment at the hands of law enforcement. The EU’s diplomatic chief said in a statement on Thursday that the ceremony and “the new mandate claimed by Alexander Lukashenko lack any democractic legitimacy.” “This ‘inauguration’ directly contradicts the will of large parts of the Belarusian population, as expressed in numerous, unprecedented and peaceful protests since the elections, and serves to only further deepen the political crisis in Belarus.” The tough stance on Mr Lukashenko comes just a few days after European foreign ministers failed to agree on potential sanctions on Belarus after Cyprus blocked the plan, citing the lack of joint EU action against Turkey. Thousands of Belarusians took to the streets of capital Minsk and other cities on Wednesday evening to protest against Mr Lukashenko’s rule.

The Guardian

US military increasingly using drone missile with flying blades in Syria

‘Ninja bomb’, which uses 100lb of dense material and six attached blades, has been deployed in targeted assassinations The US military is making increasing use in Syria of a gruesome and secretive non-explosive drone missile that deploys flying blades to kill its targets.Described as less likely to kill non-combatants, the so-called ninja bomb – whose development was first disclosed last year – has been used a number of times in the last year to kill militants in Syria, including those linked to aal-Qaida, most recently earlier this month.Officially designated as the Hellfire AGM-114R9X – usually shortened to R9X and sometimes know as the “Flying Ginsu” – the weapon has been increasingly deployed in targeted assassinations by the US Joint Special Operations Command.The missile, believed to have been first used in 2017 to kill al-Qaida’s then No 2 leader, Abu Khayr al Masri, in Idlib province, first came to wider attention when its existence was disclosed by an article in the Wall Street Journal last year.The weapon uses a combination of the force of 100lb of dense material flying at high speed and six attached blades which deploy before impact to crush and slice its victims.Video that emerged in June this year, posted by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, appeared to show the remains of one of the missiles used in a strike on a vehicle, also in Syria’s Idlib that killed a Jordanian and Yemen, both reportedly members of Hurras al-Din, a group affiliated with aal-Qaida.The weapon is believed to have been developed during the administration of Barack Obama at a time when the US policy of targeted drone assassinations attracted considerable criticism for the number of civilian casualties caused by the strikes.Since its deployment it has been used sparingly, apparently most often in Syria.According to the New York Times the most recent use of the missile was on 14 September, when it was reportedly used to kill Sayyaf al-Tunsi, a Tunisian.Observers have speculated that the increasing use of the weapon in Syria – which increasingly has targeted leadership members of al-Qaida’s affiliates – has been driven by the complexities of operations in Syria where the US is required to work around a large Russian engagement.The bladed, non-explosive version of the Hellfire missile is the latest iteration of a weapon that has undergone several variations since it was used to weaponize previously unarmed Predator drones in around 2000.The first Hellfires were designed as tank busters with a powerful shaped charge, used in Afghanistan for which they were regarded as not entirely suitable.A later version was developed that carried a heavier explosive warhead , but which led in turn to issues with civilian casualties, leading to the development of the R9X.Up until May last year, it is believed that the weapon had been used no more than half a dozen times. But since then it appears to have been used increasingly more often.The new missile appears designed for use in circumstances where a more conventional explosive missile might not be considered for fears of killing non-combatants.While conceding that the weapon appeared to be less dangerous to civilians, Iain Overton of Action on Armed Violence warned against the impression that it was a “more humanitarian weapon”.“This weapon, whilst only used only a handful of times, does appear to have less wide-area effects than other air-dropped explosive weapons.“However, the vast majority of the US explosive arsenal does, all too often, cause terrible collateral damage. Given Trump’s administration also authorised the use of the largest non-nuclear explosion in the history of the world in Afghanistan, it’s important to be wary of the PR optics that the US military is now using ‘humanitarian’ weapons.”Overton also underlined issues with a targeted assassination campaign – using any weapons – that had little oversight.“This new weapon, framed as an alternative to larger bombs, might be sold as almost ethical, but if it side-steps due judicial process, and is as susceptible to wrong targeting as other strikes, it is no more than an assassin’s blade wielded by a state rarely held to account for its actions.”

National Review

Doug Collins to Introduce Constitutional Amendment Prohibiting Adding Justices to Supreme Court

Representative Doug Collins is preparing to introduce a constitutional amendment to block potential attempts to add justices to the Supreme Court as some Democrats eye adding seats should President Trump’s upcoming nominee be confirmed.The amendment would block “court packing,” or adding justices to the Supreme Court, for 10 years after any bill is passed to enlarge the court, a measure Collins said aims to “take the political emotion of the moment out of the way.”“The proposed amendment—really, it should be a bipartisan issue,” the Georgia Republican said. “We should not have decisions like packing the court to be based on emotional or political decisions.””The reason we did it is because it seems like the Democrats, every time they don’t get what they want, they want to change the rules,” Collins added.Several Democrats have suggested or said directly that they are open to adding justices to the Court should President Trump’s proposed nominee to fill the seat of the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg be confirmed.Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said that “nothing is off the table” if Democrats gain control of the Senate, and Senator Ed Markey called directly for abolishing the filibuster and expanding the Supreme Court. House Judiciary Committee Chair Jerry Nadler said that if Senate Republicans confirm a justice before a new Senate and president take office “then the incoming Senate should immediately move to expand the Supreme Court.”Meanwhile, House Democrats are planning to introduce a bill next week that would limit the terms of Supreme Court justices to 18 years instead of their current lifetime tenure.“It would save the country a lot of agony and help lower the temperature over fights for the court that go to the fault lines of cultural issues and is one of the primary things tearing at our social fabric,” said Representative Ro Khanna, the Democratic bill’s lead sponsor.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here